Retired NFL Players Look to Mend Class Schisms: Jonathan Randles of Law360 ($$) reports that a group of retired National Football League (NFL) players have begun playing up the terms of their potential settlement with the League over publicity rights in the hope that a splinter group of retirees opposing the settlement will change their minds. The pro-settlement group filed a motion in Minnesota District Court last week urging the court to grant preliminary approval to the settlement.
The splinter group opposes the $42million terms because the funds will be paid out to charitable organizations instead of directly to the players themselves. However, the pro-settlement group contends that the splinter group has mischaracterized the settlements' terms, stating that the funds will be used to assist retiring players with career transitioning. We will keep you updated as this process moves forward.
Nurses at Boston Quincy Set for Strike: Jessica Bartlett of boston.com writes that nurses at Quincy Medical Center in Boston, MA have approved a one-day strike, set to take place on April 11. The strike has been called to draw attention to what the nurses believe to be unsafe conditions for patients at the hospital.
"The public needs to know how worried we are, that we’ve been telling management we don’t consider this situation to be safe, and they have been refusing to discuss the staffing plan with us,” said Stacey McEachern, RN, a nurse in the emergency department, in a release.
The hospital, in a press release, noted that it was ironic that the nurses union claimed to be concerned primarily about patient care when a nurses' strike could have a massively negative effect on the same. Further, the release went on to characterize the strike as a negotiating tactic. As always, we will keep you updated on the simmering tensions.
St. Paul Chamber Orchestra Says 'No Thanks' to Latest Proposed Termsheet: Graydon Royce of the Minneapolis StarTribune reports that members of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra (SPCO) have voted down a deal brokered by the Minneapolis Mayors' Office. The proposed deal, which would give the players a competitive base salary as well as an equivalent to overtime pay, was rejected in a non-binding vote yesterday.
“We’re obviously disappointed with the results and we’ll have to regroup,” said Jessica Etten, an SPCO spokeswoman.
Importantly, the SPCO has stated that a deal must be reached by April 8 of this year in order to salvage a portion of the current playing season. However, as of now no further talks have been scheduled. We will keep you posted.